Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day Letter

Dear familia,
Well, it's officially been a week and a day since I came to the MTC. WOOHOO!! But, it's been a great time. When I showed up, I was slightly overwhelmed because they were making us go every which way, but once we got settled and into the swing of things, it was great. We've just been keeping hecka busy and all sorts of good things. Lots of great devotionals and talks.
I've got two companions, so I am in a trio! It's really fun. My companions are Hermana Lara Christensen and Hermana Rebecca Jo Pechin [said like Peach-in]. Hermana Christensen is from Highland and Hermana Pechin is from Orem/Logan. They're great and I just love them. We have a lot of fun together, although they aren't the girls that I would have put myself with. But we have a ton of fun together and they are great. And even though are personalities are different and I have to exercise my patience, it's great and I know that I'll be blessed and we're all together for a reason.

My district and my zone are AMAZING!!! I couldn't have asked for a better district or zone. My ZLs are great! Elder Hamilton is from San Jose and Elder Stevenson is from Austrailia. Needless to say, I enjoy talking to Elder Stevenson. He and I are good buddies! :-D But, it's all well and good. My district is awesome, too. My DL is Elder Davis and he's from Vegas. He does a really good job with us, as he's 26 and we're all between 19 and 21. But, it's awesome. My favorite elder in my district tested out and I'm sad about that because he's my comic relief and he and I are a lot alike, but it's okay. I still get to see him. And I have to send him a cup for his birthday...which isn't til August, so it's all well and good. But he's great.

So, my roommates are HILARIOUS!! Hermana Wolfgram is going to Washington, except she's going to Seattle. Hermana Veazy is going to California, and Hermana Passentino is going to Clint's mission - NY NY North. But they're so fun and I love going back to the dorms after the long day to get some laughs in. They just make me laugh so hard, I love it.
I actually did test out of my class on Tuesday. And I passed and they told me I should be in a more advanced class than I'm in. But they haven't talked to me yet. But I'm not sure if I want to go or not. I have a choice and I'm praying about it and I'm hoping I find an answer today in one of our two devotionals or something like that. I'm all down with where Heavenly Father wants me to go.

Dallin H. Oaks came to our devotional on Tuesday and it was excellent!! He and Sister Oaks are just so great. I love their personalities. They talked about the mantle of a missionary and it was just so awesome! We sang Called to Serve as our opening hymn, and I just felt the Spirit so much. It was so great! I just started crying and it was a testimony again to me that I'm where I'm supposed to be at and doing what I'm supposed to be doing.Oh, P.S. Sorry it took so long to email. Our P-days are on Thursdays and so we didn't get one last week and this week is kind of cut short because of Thanksgiving. So we really are getting the short end of the stick. Boo. But, it's all well and good. We're blessed for our obedience.
Everything here is great. I did laundry this morning and that took a little longer than I would have wanted. I'm also determined that I will come back with huge bags under my eyes because of all the waking up at 5:45 or 6:00 a.m. stuff I'm doing. And even though I go to bed when I'm supposed to, it just doesn't seem quite enough sleep. And I can't believe that I was staying up til midnight and getting up at 6 when I was at home, getting ready to go to work. Maybe it's because I wasn't always on the go or I could take a nap? I don't know. It's okay though, because we'll be alright. It's the Lord's work and we're just the instruments in His hands. I only hope that I can do all that He asks of me and that I can have the suffiecient knowledge when I leave here. Technically, this is my second week in. They go by weeks on Sundays and not Wednesdays. So even though I've only been here for a week, according to the MTC, I've been here for 2. I can't believe that, though. It's nuts!!!
I love how small of a world it is here. I've seen Bradley Duncan all the time. He's so funny. And I think it's hilarious that I see him here. He's going to Canada Winnepeg mission. Oh and yes, he says hi to the family. Haha. Even though I'm sure you're just rolling your eyes, Mom, and saying something to the effect of 'why does he say hi? He doesn't even talk to us'. Anyways, just a formality I guess.
So, we have gym class every week and it's great. I play volleyball every single day and I love it. When I first started playing, I met this Elder named Elder Stone and he's from Burley. And he knows Lance and Liz. Another Hermana in my zone knows Liz, too. It's so funny. I just love all these little connections I'm making with everyone. Anyways, back to volleyball. So I play volleyball and I usually play on the newbie's court because it's not as intense as all the kids jump serving and what not on the other court. Anyways, so I was playing on the good court on Tuesday because the other court hadn't started up and these Tongan and Samoan elders come up to me and I'm scared. Because they're huge and I'm just this little white girl. Anyways, they were like 'Hey Hermana, you're so good.' I was just like, oh thanks. And then yesterday, they came up to me and were like Hermana, are you going to play with us today? I was like heck yes!!! So, I was the only girl on the court and I did awesome! They were so great! And so now they all come and talk to me all the time. It's so funny.
On Sunday, we get to take temple walks, which we get to leave campus and go on a walk up to the temple. Well, I was taking pictures with my coordinating sisters [they're like Zone Leaders for the girls] and all these Tongan missionaries came up to us - at least 8 of them and were just like PICTURES WITH THE AMERICAN GIRLS!!! It was hilarious. I loved it. I'll send pictures when I actually get a chance to make some. But, it's just great. I love it here!
Oh, so I have this Elder in my district named Elder Ballard and he's SO FUNNY! I just love him. I'm seriously going to shrink him down, and carry him in my pocket everywhere I go for the rest of my life. He's so funny, though. I have a picture with him to of me hitting him with a stick. It's great. But, he does say Hi Heidi. See? He's just so cute.
So, funny story. My coordinating sister, Hermana Hymas [haha, yes, what a last name!] is from South Jordan and graduated the same year that Brett did. And she knows him. And it's totally funny. And then another Elder in my district, Elder Meldrum, knows Blake. It's crazy. Oh speaking of which, can you send me his address? I forgot to get it when I left and I really want to write Brett a letter.
So, I have 7 minutes left and I've run out of things to say. So I'll tell you another story. So, my comps and I were walking back from lunch yesterday and it's been really hard for me to get out of the habit of saying 'y tu' after someone asks me how I'm doing. The tu form in Spanish is you, but it's informal and as missionaries, we're going to be using the usted form instead of the tu form. Anyways, so we're walking back to class and this elder asks me how I'm doing. I told him I was good and so the first time since I've been here, I remember to say 'y usted' and the elder I was passing by. So he doesn't say anything and then I hear him yell 'it's "y tu"' And I just yelled back to him 'You don't know me! It's y usted!' But it was really funny. Guess you had to be there.
Well, my time is winding down and we've got a devotional to go to. But I love you all. I'm so excited to be here and to do this work! It's such a great work and I wish more people would take advantage of the great opportunity that we as members have to be missionaries. It's so important to be a member missionary and have referrals because it's from every 2 referrals, 1 of them gets baptized. Those are the statistics. And don't we all want our brothers and sisters to know of this gospel and have everlasting happiness that only our Heavenly Father can bring? I SURE DO! But, I know this gospel is true with all my heart and I'm so excited to give my all to Heavenly Father. He sure does love us so much and blesses our lives every single day! I love this church and my full time calling as a missionary of the Lord. I love you all and I can't wait to hear from you soon!!!! :-D Dearelder.com is such a great tool to use! Yo se que Jose Smith fue un profeta y Thomas S. Monson es un profeta, hoy. Yo se que el Libro de Mormon es verdadero! En el nombre de Jesucristo, Amen.
Love,
Hermana Pleshek

No comments:

Post a Comment