Tuesday, June 8, 2010

8 Jun 2010

Hey Mom!
I wrote down some of the things that I wanted to write this week. I only have about 10 minutes, so we'll see what happens and how much of it I actually get written. This week has been crazy! It's been my first week without my 'mom' and wow! It's nuts! I'm always thrown back at how much the Lord provides for his missionaries and how much this is HIS work and not ours. Wow.
So, we have this recent convert family and their oldest son Erick was having some problems with being temporarily paralyzed a couple times this morning. Their mom is out of town and the 17 year old daughter calls us frantically on Saturday morning. All of the missionaries in the zone were at this breakfast at this house and we were talking about missionary work and stuff like that. I told her that I'd talk to Elder Arnold and Elder Bair and that we'd all be right over to give Erick a blessing. Erick has been having problems since he's been baptized. He's a single dad, going to school, has a 17 year old girlfriend who's a junior in high school. Erick's 23. But anyways, he hasn't been coming to church and doing the things he's supposed to be doing. Elder Arnold and Elder Bair gave him a blessing and told him that if he would live the gospel to the best of his ability, all of his problems would go away and all the stress would be gone. And he said it like twice. And oh my gosh. All of us were in tears as we listened to this beautiful blessing. It strengthened my testimony that the Lord really does know us and He loves us. We're so special to him.
Another thing that's been happening is that we're doing alot of finding. Hna. Kendell and I are doing really well, but we spend most of our days trying to find investigators and people to teach. We've been working really hard and haven't been having a lot of success. We were sitting in our car after dinner one day, in the apartment complex we were going to try and contact these people in and we decided to have a prayer. Hna. Kendell started praying and she said 'We know there are people waiting and help us find thy children.' That stood out to me really distinctly. So, we're walking over to this door and there's this lady standing in the window. She's not doing anything. She's waiting. We go and talk to her and teach her a first lesson and get a return appointment with her. Her husband and 2 year old son were sleeping on the couch while we were talking to her. I find it amazing that while the men in her life were sleeping, she was waiting in the window. She could have been doing a million different things, but she wasn't.
My Spanish has started to pick up a lot. It's amazing. The gift of tongues is SO real. I feel like it's progressed alot and I'm using it more and more each time we go out. Hna. Kendell and I are in this together and we're learning a ton! I've also had some success with sewing the other day. I had to fix a couple of my skirts and a shirt and I did it! I even loaded the bobbin all by myself. I was really pleased that I did such a good job and I can now wear my two skirts.
Driving around Vancouver has been fun. We haven't gotten lost and I think it's funny because once it's all up to you, you realize you know a lot more than you thought you did. Yeah, it's awesome! I sure do love this place and this people and I really hope that I'm here for a while to see the work grow and flourish. Heavenly Father has definitely helped me every step along the way and I owe him so much.
I've got about 2 minutes left and I want to share something else. This morning, Hna. Kendell and I were talking about being missionaries and how we aren't who we were anymore. I'm not the same person I was before I left and I know that. And it's amazing to me how much I've grown up in the last 7 months. I used to watch General Conference as a form of recreation. I want to read my scriptures every day and geek out about them all the time. It's amazing to see the change in myself and feel it. But, I love being a missionary and everything about it. And even though it's 11 months away, I'm so scared to go home. This is what I know how to do and I love it!
I love you all! Thanks for all you do for me!
Con amor,
Hna. Pleshek

No comments:

Post a Comment